Meet Dr. Ciriani
Dr. Ciriani was born in Trail, B.C. but was raised from the age of 12 in Kamloops.
He studied dentistry at the University of British Columbia, graduating in 1987 a Doctor of Medical Dentistry. He was licensed that same year by the College of Dental Surgeons of BC.
In 1987 Dr. Ciriani opened a practice in Smithers, B.C. and would operate it for the next 14 years. In this location he provided all aspects of dental care in a semi-remote northern community, including surgical and restorative dental services in a hospital setting with the use of general anaesthetic. As well as providing regular and on-call geriatric care to the local long term care facility.
In 2000 Dr. Ciriani assumed the practiced of Dr. Bill Albiston in Kamloops and continues to operate it. In this location he provides all aspects of dental care in an urban setting.
- 1987 Doctor Medical Dentistry (DMD)
University of British Columbia, Vancouver BC
- 1982 Bachelor of Science, Zoology (BSc)
University of British Columbia, Vancouver BC
COMMITTEES & PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- 2016- Present: Scientific Committee, Thompson/Okanagan Dental Society.
- 2014-Present: CDA /NIHB Task Force
- 2013-Present: Adjunct Professor, Thompson Rivers University, Dept. of Respiratory Therapy
- 2011-Present: Member, Access to Care Committee, First Nations Liason, BC Dental Assoc.
- 2006-Present: Dental Consultant, Q'wemtsin Health Society, Kamloops
- 2006-Present: Dental Consultant, Children’s Oral Health Initiative, First Nations Health Authority
- 2000-Present: Member, Thompson/Okanagan Tucker Affiliated Cast Gold Study Club
- 2011-Present: Member, National Coordinating Working Group on Access to Care, Canadian Dental Assoc.
- 2013-2014: President, BC Dental Association2012-2013
- 2012-2013: President-Elect, BC Dental Association
- 2008-2014: Management Committee, BC Dental Association
- 2012-2013: Chairman, BCDA Awards and Toothfairy Charity Gala
- 2012-2013: Member, UBC Faculty of Dentistry Board of Counsellors
- 2011-2012: Secretary/Treasurer, BC Dental Association
- 2009-2011: President, Thompson/Okanagan Dental Society
- 2008-2009: Member, Website Redevelopment Committee, BC Dental Association
- 2008-2009: President-Elect, Thompson/Okanagan Dental Society
- 2008-2009: Member, Canadian Association of Public Health Dentistry
- 2007-2011: Thompson/Okanagan Representative, Board of Directors, BC Dental Association
- 2004-2011: Director, Thompson/Okanagan Dental Society
- 2003-2007: Secretary, Thompson/Okanagan Tucker Affiliated Cast Gold Study Club
- 1997-2002: Chair, Task Force on Listing Unlicensed Clinical Dental Personnel, CDSBC
- 1996-1998: Member, Executive Committee, College of Dental Surgeons of BC
- 1995-1998: Northwest BC Representative, Council, College of Dental Surgeons of BC
- 1995-1998: President, Northwest BC Dental Society
- 1993-1995: Secretary, Northwest BC Dental Society
- 1985-1986: UBC Student Representative, Canadian Dental Association
PROFESSIONAL & ACADEMIC AWARDS
- 2016: BC Dental Association Distinguished Service Award
- 2014: Fellowship in the Pierre Fauchard Academy
- 2011: Fellowship in the American College of Dentists
- 2011: Fellowship in the International College of Dentists
- 2009: Fellowship in the Academy of Dentistry International
- 1987: American Academy of Oral Medicine Annual Prize
- 1985-1986: UBC Special University Scholarship
- A Comparative Study of Development During Primary Palate Formation in A/WySn, C57BL/6 and their FI Crosses, Ciriani, D and Diewert, VM, J Craniofac Genet. Dev Biol, 1986; 6 (4): 369-70
- A Test of the Effect of Hypoxia on the Frequency of a Cleft Lip in A/WySn Mice, Ciriani, DV and Juriloff, DM, Teratology 27 (2): 38A, 1983
- 2003-2011: Director, BC Cowboy Heritage Society
- 2003-Present: Provide an annual scholarship to the BC High School Rodeo Association
- 2002-2010: Community Dental Day
- 2001-Present: Volunteer, Rose Hill Farmers Institute, Knutsford Community Association
- 2000-2005: Member, Kamloops Cattle Drive Committee, Educated tourists on ranching practices and land stewardship
- 2000: Vice President and Rodeo Chairman, Bulkley Valley Exhibition Fall Fair, Organized annual agricultural fair and rodeo
- 1998-1999: Member, Bulkley Valley Exhibition Fall Fair Committee
- 1988-1992: Member, Smithers Volunteer Ski Patrol
- 1987-Present: Ongoing pro bono cases for families in need, identified through provincial social service agencies.
- 1987-Present: Providing externship opportunities for dental students and certified dental assisting students arranged through UBC, College of New Caledonia, Okanagan College and other accredited education facilities.